ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

windows mobile application
Posted by Salman on Sep-08-2006 17:20
hello
i want to make ChartDirector application for mobile devices (windows OS).
there is problem, i am facing is that when i add chartdirector tool in .net ToolBox window, it is not adding new tool.
i am working on VS 2005, please help

salman

Re: windows mobile application
Posted by Peter Kwan on Sep-09-2006 02:24
Hi Salman,

I assume you are developing for the .NET Compact Framework environment (eg. a "Device Application" in Visual Studio 2005).

Unluckily, ChartDirector currently needs the standard .NET framework. It cannot work in the .NET compact framework.

If you right click on the tool box, and select "Show All", you may see the ChartDirector controls (WinChartViewer and WebChartViewer), but they should be dimmed out in a .NET compact framework project.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Re: windows mobile application (Pocket PC)
Posted by Salman on Sep-09-2006 15:28
Hello,

ok now,  i shift to VS 2003, on Smart Device (Pocket PC Application) , but ChartDirector tool is not enable in ToolBox window, it is there but it is disable. how can i enable to use to make window app for pocket PC

thanks

Posted by Peter Kwan on Sep-10-2006 18:04
Hi Salman,

The cause of the problem is not related to the version of Visual Studio. It is because the Pocket PC is using the .NET compact framework, but ChartDirector requires the standard .NET framework. As a result, ChartDirector cannot be used in Pocket PC applications.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Johan Sorensen on Mar-15-2007 04:45
Peter Kwan wrote:

Hi Salman,

The cause of the problem is not related to the version of Visual Studio. It is because the Pocket PC is using the .NET compact framework, but ChartDirector requires the standard .NET framework. As a result, ChartDirector cannot be used in Pocket PC applications.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Thank you for the answer regarding compact vs. standard .NET frameworks. What does ChartDirector actually _need_ in the standard framework that is not available in the compact one? Can a component fitting in the compact framework be used in a full Windows desktop application (which otherwise uses the full framework)?
What I'm getting at is if it would be possible for you to support both normal PC applications as well as mobile devices by building for the compact framework?

Regards / Johan.

Posted by Peter Kwan on Mar-15-2007 15:29
Hi Johan,

I think ChartDirector needs many .NET APIs that are only available in the standard .NET framework. One such API is the detail manipulation of fonts, fonts metrics, etc. An example is the .NET method below, which are used to measure text size within a text string.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.drawing.stringformat.setmeasurablecharacterranges.aspx

Without the ability to measure text size, it is hard to perform some more sophisticated text layout task requiries in the chart.

There are probably a few more APIs that are needed by ChartDirector, but that are not available in the Compact Framework, but we do not have a full list of such API at the moment.

Regards
Peter Kwan