ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

PHP 7.2.10 solaris 64bit
Posted by Jacob on Aug-09-2019 03:29
Hey I was wondering if you guys could put out a 64-bit PHP download for chart director for Solaris (x84). The current one is 32-bit, and we're trying to upgrade our OS to a 64-bit version of Solaris, and this would help us out a ton. Thanks.

Re: PHP 7.2.10 solaris 64bit
Posted by Peter Kwan on Aug-12-2019 05:22
Hi,

I am not aware of the official Solaris distribution include PHP 7.2, so I assume it is compile by yourself or is from somewhere else. Like many open source software, PHP 7.2 can be compiled in many binary incompatible ways. I have just compiled one for the non-debug, non-zend-thread-safe (non-zts) PHP, which is the default PHP built (PHP built with all options set to default) and is most common type of PHP for production usage.

("Non-zend-thread-safe" sounds like it is not "safe", but in fact it is the more reliable PHP. The "Zend" company creates the PHP engine and makes it thread-safe. However, PHP also includes a large amount of third party code not written or maintained by Zend, such as the various database drivers and a large number of extensions. The thread-safety of these third party code is unknown or unproven, so most PHP is compiled to disable multi-threading. If you look at production PHP web servers nowadays, virtually all of them are non-zts PHP.)

You can download the Solaris x64 libchartdir.so and phpchartdir720.dll from:

https://www.advsofteng.com/cd6_sunos_x64_php.zip

Please use the above files to replace the files of the same name in the ChartDIrector for Solaris x86 distribution.

Hope this can help.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Jacob on Nov-20-2019 07:28
Thank you.

Posted by Jacob on Nov-20-2019 07:53
I am compiling php my self, but I am using a TS build of PHP. So I'm getting a unable to initialize module warning:

PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: ChartDirector PHP API: Unable to initialize module
Module compiled with build ID=....,NTS
PHP    compiled with build ID=...,TS

So by chance do you have a thread safe build for this?

Posted by Peter Kwan on Nov-20-2019 17:29
Hi Jacob,

Although thread-safe PHP seems to be "safer" and faster that non-thread-safe PHP, the reality is the exact opposite. Before you decide to use thread-safe PHP, please consider the follows.

There is a common believe that thread-safe PHP is unreliable. Zend (the company that develops PHP) suggests people not to use thread-safe PHP, but uses FastCGI PHP (NTS) instead. That's why the PHP that comes with almost all OS distribution (Linux, FreeBSD, etc) and in production web sites are non-thread-safe.

According to Zend, thread-safe PHP is less reliable is probably due to third party code. PHP includes a lot of third party code, like database drivers, text processing libraries (eg. regular expressions), many networking functions, etc. Most of these code originate from non-Windows OS and may not be well tested for multi-threading.

Web servers on non-Windows systems (eg. Apache) use forking instead of multi-threading, so it is not necessary to be thread-safe. Instead, TS PHP is probably slower because of the unnecessary thread-safety overhead.

The Windows OS is not efficient in forking, so in the past multi-threaded PHP was used. Since PHP supports FastCGI around 15 years ago, Zend has recommended FastCGI over multi-threading. As far as I know, the PHP that distributes by Microsoft for its IIS web server is also non-thread-safe and uses FastCGI.

In summary, non-thread-safe PHP is probably more reliable and is just as fast, if not faster, than thread-safe PHP. Thread-safe PHP exists because historically (before FastCGI) it was the only method to achieve performance on Windows.

If you still want to use thread-safe PHP, please let me know.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Jacob on Nov-21-2019 02:39
I need TS for now...

Posted by Peter Kwan on Nov-22-2019 02:09
Hi Jacob,

I have just added the phpchartdir720mt.dll to the following download, which is for thread-safe 64-bit PHP for Solaris (x64).

https://www.advsofteng.com/cd6_sunos_x64_php.zip

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Jacob on Nov-22-2019 02:48
Awesome thanks you are super helpful.