ASE Home Page Products Download Purchase Support About ASE
ChartDirector Support
Forum HomeForum Home   SearchSearch

Message ListMessage List     Post MessagePost Message

Problems with setMeter on an Angular meter
Posted by Electron Sheperd on Dec-10-2018 03:09
Attachments:
I'm having a problem creating a band around a meter, and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.  The code to replicate the problem is:

#include <chartdir.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    // Create an AngularMeter object of size 250 x 250 pixels with transparent background
    AngularMeter *m = new AngularMeter(250, 250, Chart::Transparent);

// Center at (125, 125), scale radius = 111 pixels, scale angle -145 to +145 degrees
    m->setMeter(125, 125, 111, -175, 175);

// Add a red band all the around the meter
m->addZone(0, 100, 95, 111, 0xFF0000);

// Output the chart
    m->makeChart("roundmeter.png");

//free up resources
    delete m;

return 0;
}

This is based on the code for the "Round Meter" sample from the help, with everything that isn't related to the bug removed. When I run this, I get the "Good" image as attached. However, the red band does not go all the way around the meter, since I am passing -175, 175 into the setMeter call. If I change these parameters to be -180, 180 I get the "Bad" image as attached, with the red band just a very thin line at the bottom of the meter.

How can I add a zone that goes all the around the meter?
Good.png
Bad.png

Re: Problems with setMeter on an Angular meter
Posted by Peter Kwan on Dec-10-2018 21:34
Hi Electron,

If you want a complete circle, please use AngularMeter.addRing. In the "Round Meter" sample code, you can see the addRing is used to create the grey ring around the meter.

https://www.advsofteng.com/doc/cdcpp.htm#roundmeter.htm

Hope this can help.

Regards
Peter Kwan

Posted by Electron Sheperd on Dec-10-2018 23:44
Peter,

We're using addZone to add a donut-style band around the meter, so the band we add won't always go all the way around. It will only be a full ring when the value is at 100%.

I've seen https://www.chartdir.com/forum/download_thread.php?bn=chartdir_support&pattern=donut&thread=1513164302#N1513189473 and that's the sort of item we're creating, but we also need to add a pointer (to indicate a second value) to the gauge, so I don't think we can use a PieChart.

Some experimentation here indicates that if the gauge goes from 0 - 100, calling addZone(0, 99.99999 ...) works as expected, and if I call setScale(0, 100.000001) and then call addZone(0, 100), it also works as expected, so it looks as if for gauges where the start and end angles define a complete circle, ChartDirector is comparing the value to the maximum, and not drawing the zone if they are the same.

Do I need to detect when the addZone would add a full ring and change the call to addRing, or is there a better way to do it?

Posted by Peter Kwan on Dec-11-2018 00:58
Hi Electron,

If it is easy to detect the full ring condition, I would just check if it is a full ring, and use addRing in such case and addZone in other cases.

If your code will never draw 0% or over 100% (that is, will not create a sector like 20 to 150 where the scale is 0 to 100), you can also try addZone(a, b - 0.000000001). This is visually the same as (a, b) and can avoid the full ring problem.

Regards
Peter Kwan